Friday, October 30, 2015
News Response: Issues With Local vs. International Coverage
We have all examined and logged our findings on one of five news sources for the past month. Now that my study of the Courier Journal Online has concluded, I can wholeheartedly conclude that my findings were disappointing. I always assumed that the Courier was a reliable source of world news and not just telling me about Louisville's Iron man and New Albany's Harvest Festival. It sure did not make me happy to realize that the Courier Online has incredibly poor coverage of important events if they don't happen right on our doorstep. How am I supposed to stay informed if the news source I trust most doesn't tell me any major world problems that I know are occurring. The Courier Online had a total of two international stories, both occurring on September thirtieth, our first day of recording. I kept waiting for another international story but sadly they were never again seen. It is understandable why local TV news program would be reluctant to report on national stories, since, after all, local stories are what they do best. But the Courier is typically held to higher standards which it has failed to meet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment